Transitioning from SEC to State – Helpful Tip #2

posted in: Registration & Licensing | 0


One of things you can do now to help ease your transition from SEC registration to registration with one or more states is determine the state(s) in which you must register.

Seems obvious, huh? Just wait. While a good rule of thumb is that you will need to register as a state investment adviser in the same states in which your advisory firm had previously noticed filed, some states may have more stringent rules for state registration than for notice filing.

I would suggest checking the state rules in each state where you maintain a branch office (even if that “office” is an advisory rep working out of their home); where you have any clients (remember, 3 states – TX, LA & NH – all require registration with just one client).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.